Many of us stumble into a new year, full of Christmas cheer, and if you’re anything like me, you’ve probably made all sorts of resolutions for 2017.
One resolution that is easy to keep and will make a huge difference to how you feel, is making time for breakfast. It can help boost energy and concentration levels and improve your mood. Plus, eating breakfast regularly also means you are less likely to reach for an unhealthy snack mid-morning.
Here are two recipes I created for Special K that have been inspired by breakfast trends from BreakfastIn and use Special K. The great thing about these recipes is that you can enjoy them anytime! So, breakfast for dessert anyone?
Crunchy Brioche French Toast
A classic weekend favourite, this decadent version of French toast is made with slices of brioche, coated in crunchy Special K flakes, toasted until crisp and topped with Greek yogurt and fresh berries. It’s a little fancy without actually requiring any fancy ingredients.
4 thick slices of brioche
¾ cups of milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon sugar
1½ cups of Special K Fruit & Nut or Forest Berries, crushed
Your choice of oil or butter for frying
Maple syrup for drizzling
Ricotta cheese or Greek yoghurt (optional)
Assorted berries for toppings
- Beat together milk, eggs, vanilla and sugar
- Dip each slice of brioche into the mix and then straight into the Special K crumbs, coating both sides
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat and add oil or butter of your choosing
- Once melted, add two pieces of brioche and cook for 5 minutes on each side
- Repeat with the remaining butter and brioche
- Serve the French toast with maple syrup and top with ricotta cheese or Greek yoghurt and fruit
*Note: Unlike regular bread, brioche will absorb the mix quite quickly, so don't soak it for too long.
No Bake Mini Matcha Cheesecakes
Highly potent and rich in antioxidants, matcha is fast becoming a trending flavour. So, being a lover of all things tea, I wanted to incorporate this wonder ingredient in this easy-to-follow recipe. These mini cheesecakes are creamy with a subtle semi-sweet matcha flavour. Plus matcha, gram for gram, has way more antioxidants than other green teas. Beat that!
500g cream cheese (x 2 blocks), softened
2/3 cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups thickened cream
1 tablespoon matcha green tea powder, sifted
3 cups Special K Original or Gluten Free
½ cup butter or coconut oil, melted
Matcha Pocky sticks, matcha powder and whipped cream
- In a food processor, pulse the cereal until the mixture resembles a coarse powder
- Transfer crumb to a small mixing bowl and stir in the melted butter. Now press the crust into the bottom of your pan* and place in the refrigerator to cool
- With an electric mixer or in a stand mixer, blend together the softened cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract for 3-4 minutes or until mixture is smooth and sugar is mostly dissolved
- In a large bowl, add the thickened cream and the sifted matcha green tea powder. Beat on high until medium soft peaks begin to form
- Fold the two mixtures together with a rubber spatula
- Add the batter to each crust. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours (preferably overnight)
- Once set, top with more sifted matcha powder or decorate with whipped cream and Matcha Pocky sticks
* I used a silicone cupcake pan for easy removal